If you’ve lived in the Seattle area for a while, you probably can’t remember a time when there wasn’t construction happening on Interstate-5.
However, one particular project that began in spring 2021 is scheduled for competition by fall 2022. Read on to learn more about the project.
Construction on I-5 Near Seattle
The project, commonly known as I-5 - NB Seneca to SR 520 - Mobility Improvements, aims to “improve mobility on I-5 through Seattle.” This will be achieved by:
- Moving the barrier on a 1,500-foot section of road in order to develop three lanes,
- Extending the Active Traffic and Demand Management system north to SR 520, and
- Adding ramp meters for the:
- Dearborn/I-90 on-ramp, and
- Cherry Street on-ramp.
Expect Traffic Disruptions
As a result of the construction, you should expect traffic disruptions until the project concludes this fall. Some of the disruptions you should anticipate include:
- Nighttime lane and full road closures traveling northbound on I-5.
- Full northbound road closures for 10-12 nights from Yesler to SR 520.
- Northbound mainline nighttime closures with all traffic shifted onto a collector/distributor.
When possible, the Northbound traffic will move onto express lanes and closures will occur at night on surface streets as well as on-ramps.
Below, you will find graphics from the Washington State Department of Transportation that represent the original lane configuration versus the new lane configuration.
As you can see, the new lane configuration with the addition of three lanes should significantly improve mobility in the region.
I-5 Road Construction Causes Accidents
Unfortunately, road construction can cause unexpected occurrences for drivers, which often leads to accidents.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident as a result of the road work on I-5, you may be owed compensation for your damages. Don’t hesitate to contact our team right away if you have questions about your case. We’re ready and willing to help you now.