Kent Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Providing Dedicated Legal Representation Since 1994
Motorcycling is enjoyable. Unfortunately, it can also be dangerous. When motorcyclists are hit by cars, trucks, and other vehicles, they have little to protect them from serious injury, even if they are wearing a helmet and other protective gear. As a result, motorcycle injuries can be severe, including broken bones, head injuries, and even death.
At Dore Law Group, PLLC, our Kent motorcycle accident attorney, Jim Dore, Jr., has long represented injured clients in all types of personal injury claims. He understands the complexities of motorcycle accident cases, as well as the need for maximum compensation.
For a free, confidential consultation, call (253) 236-3888 or contact Dore Law Group, PLLC online.
Who Is Liable in a Motorcycle Accident?
While riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, motorcyclists often exhibit safe driving behaviors. In fact, other drivers’ negligence is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. However, it is not the only cause.
In addition to other drivers, there are often other liable parties involved. This may include multiple drivers, those responsible for the proper functioning and maintenance of traffic control signals, and construction companies that may be performing work.
Some common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Defective motorcycles/parts
- Defective roadways
- Unsafe construction
- Poor road maintenance
- Dangerous road conditions
- Defective cars/parts
- Defective motorcycle safety gear
When it comes to motorcycle accident claims, we are dedicated to identifying all responsible parties and seeking full, fair compensation from each. At Dore Law Group, PLLC, we often employ accident reconstructionists and other experts to assist in proving causation.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Many different types of injuries can be sustained in a Washington motorcycle accident. These can range from mild to life-threatening or even fatal. Some of the most common injuries our motorcycle accident attorneys have seen include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Broken / fractured bones
- Amputation and limb loss
Do You Have to Wear a Motorcycle Helmet in Washington?
If you are riding a motorcycle, either driving it or riding as a passenger, you are required to wear a helmet. The helmet must be approved by the department of transportation and have the DOT approved sticker on it. On top of having to wear a helmet, riders must carry auto insurance meeting the following minimums:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability
- $10,000 in property damage liability
- $50,000 for two or more people
Washington Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accidents are a devastating and surprisingly common event. According to the Washington Traffic Safety Commission, motorcyclists comprise only 3% of motorists in Washington State but accounted for 15% of all roadway fatalities and 19% of serious injuries in collisions from 2013 to 2017.
It is estimated that 1 in 5 motorcycle crashes result in serious injury or death, with an average of 75 riders losing their lives each year in collisions on Washington roads.
Other motorcycle accident statistics courtesy of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Motorcyclists are 27 times more likely to die in a crash than passenger car occupants per mile traveled.
- In 2017 alone, 5,172 motorcyclists were killed in collisions. Of these deaths, 94% were riders and the remaining 6% were passengers.
- 60% of motorcycle fatalities occur in urban areas, compared to 40% in rural areas.
- 97% of motorcycle accidents occur in cloudy or clear weather conditions.
- 91% of motorcycle accidents occur on non-interstate roads.
- Helmets saved roughly 1,872 motorcyclists' lives in 2017.
We Are Prepared to Fight for You
Once we identify the responsible party or parties, we will initiate litigation and seek a settlement for full and fair compensation. If the defendants and their insurance companies are not interested in settling, we are well-prepared to take our clients’ cases to a jury to determine fault and damages.
Call us at (253) 236-3888 for a free consultation to learn how we may be able to help you!
Don't Take Our Word For ItHear What Our Clients Have to Say About Us
Unsafe Hospital Conditions $2.5 Million
Failure to Diagnose Cause of Paralysis $2 Million
Railroad Bulkhead Collapse $1.8 Million
Motorcycle v. Commercial Truck $1.2 Million
Unsecured Load Injury $1.2 Million
Failure to Diagnose Breast Cancer $1 Million